It’s a very serious topic and one that I think the Bible clearly addresses and that the secular phycological counselors address. I have also worked with people that have been diagnosed with schizophrenia and other “mental health disorders.” I am full convinced that their is NO SUCH THING as mental health disorders and that what the Bible says about mental health is true. We are going to take a look at the evidence the secular world gives pertaining to mental disorders, and what evidence God’s Word says about mental disorders. I’m going to address the difference between a disorder and an illness, and look at the real life experiences given in the Bible of people who experienced, what we would say today would be a disorder.
The definition of a disorder is to disturb the order of or to disturb the regular or normal functions. I do believe that their are many examples in the Bible that talk about demons and how they disturb an individual or disrupt the normal functions of a person. I also think that the Bible clearly gives examples of people who have disorder in their lives because of Sin. If a person had demonic oppression or possession, or sin in their lives, a logical consequence of their sin is to be disturbed or disordered. For example, people are diagnosed with PTSD, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. I agree it “disorders” your life when you go through trauma, BUT it should never be solved with psychotropic drugs! Trauma happens in everyone’s life because we live in a fallen world. More about this on a different blog post.
The definition of an illness is an unhealthy condition of the body or mind. This is a real thing that happens to people that may or may not be caused by demonic activity or by sin. You may have trauma to your brain do to a violent impact from an accident you where in. Your brain would be bruised. Or maybe you had a bad reaction to medications, vaccines, chemicals, viruses, or other things that could cause your brain to be damaged . Some people’s brains deteriorate just do to the fact of getting old in age.
I am going to use schizophrenia in this post to examine whether or not this mental disorder, (not illness) is caused by demonic possession or by sin.
According to the Mayo Clinic
Schizophrenia involves a range of problems with thinking (cognition), behavior and emotions. Signs and symptoms may vary, but usually involve delusions, hallucinations or disorganized speech, and reflect an impaired ability to function. Symptoms may include:
- Delusions. These are false beliefs that are not based in reality. For example, you think that you’re being harmed or harassed; certain gestures or comments are directed at you; you have exceptional ability or fame; another person is in love with you; or a major catastrophe is about to occur. Delusions occur in most people with schizophrenia.
- Hallucinations. These usually involve seeing or hearing things that don’t exist. Yet for the person with schizophrenia, they have the full force and impact of a normal experience. Hallucinations can be in any of the senses, but hearing voices is the most common hallucination.
- Disorganized thinking (speech). Disorganized thinking is inferred from disorganized speech. Effective communication can be impaired, and answers to questions may be partially or completely unrelated. Rarely, speech may include putting together meaningless words that can’t be understood, sometimes known as word salad.
- Extremely disorganized or abnormal motor behavior. This may show in a number of ways, from childlike silliness to unpredictable agitation. Behavior isn’t focused on a goal, so it’s hard to do tasks. Behavior can include resistance to instructions, inappropriate or bizarre posture, a complete lack of response, or useless and excessive movement.
- Negative symptoms. This refers to reduced or lack of ability to function normally. For example, the person may neglect personal hygiene or appear to lack emotion (doesn’t make eye contact, doesn’t change facial expressions or speaks in a monotone). Also, the person may lose interest in everyday activities, socially withdraw or lack the ability to experience pleasure.
Symptoms can vary in type and severity over time, with periods of worsening and remission of symptoms. Some symptoms may always be present.
In men, schizophrenia symptoms typically start in the early to mid-20s. In women, symptoms typically begin in the late 20s. It’s uncommon for children to be diagnosed with schizophrenia and rare for those older than age 45.
Symptoms in teenagers
Schizophrenia symptoms in teenagers are similar to those in adults, but the condition may be more difficult to recognize. This may be in part because some of the early symptoms of schizophrenia in teenagers are common for typical development during teen years, such as:
- Withdrawal from friends and family
- A drop in performance at school
- Trouble sleeping
- Irritability or depressed mood
- Lack of motivation
Also, recreational substance use, such as marijuana, methamphetamines or LSD, can sometimes cause similar signs and symptoms.
Compared with schizophrenia symptoms in adults, teens may be:
- Less likely to have delusions
- More likely to have visual hallucinations
*Just as a side note. When I was studying abnormal Psychology in college the experts back then said most ALL schizophrenia started in the early to late teens and it was highly linked to nicotine, marijuana, and other drug use. As I was researching this, I noticed they have pulled away from this being the cause.*
Lets take a look at the most obvious factors of this so called mental health disease.
- Age: Notice the ages it tends to manifest itself. It’s young people who are no longer under the care of adult supervision and they are free to experiment with all kinds of occultic things on their own. It’s not typically manifested in older people because for the most part older people have had their season of dabbling in sinful behaviors and it’s very true that sin is only fun for a season. According to the Mayo Clinic,” It’s not known what causes schizophrenia, but researchers believe that a combination of genetics, brain chemistry and environment contributes to development of the disorder.” I agree that they have NO IDEA, I don’t believe they were born this way, this is the excuse people make for practicing the sin of homosexuality as well as many other sins. I do agree that your brain can be altered, especially by drug use, as well has any other sin anyone would like to continually indulge in. I also agree that environment can play a part in the cause of schizophrenia/demonic oppression. To the extent that if your parents or the people who raised you practice a certain evil behavior, it will be normal for the children to also mimic this behavior and find no problem in doing it. All of these theories are Biblical and I’m going to hopefully convince you to prove my point with scripture and logic according to God’s Word.
- Hallucinations and voices are part of the schizophrenic experience and is VERY real to the person. What does the Bible say these experiences are? I believe that according to God’s Word, these are demonic voices from demonic possession. Satan likes to infiltrate the mind and in some cases the body. A person with Schizophrenia may also be experiencing familiar spirits with visual hallucinations or demonic oppression from outside the body.
- Disorganized speech and babbling? Sounds like the Charismatic movement of speaking in tongues! Which I think is demonic.
- Extremely disorganized or abnormal behaviors that include foolishness, anger, and no response to any kind of authority? Seems demonic to me! More to come about this.
- Lack of personal hygiene and interest in social activities? We will explore this from a Biblical perspective.
This particular post will not be about the brain and it’s chemical imbalances. I do believe that when you damage your brain with alcohol and drugs you can defiantly do some serious brain damage. You can also do lots of damage to your brain by engaging in any sin or viewing it for long periods of time. It’s true that the brain is part of our flesh and it can be effected by sin. It’s also made up of many chemicals that help to regulate our behaviors and emotions, but as sin comes in through the eyes our minds become tainted by “stinking thinking,” and our brains will respond chemically to accommodate perpetual wickedness we either witness or perform, i.e depression, anxiety, suicidal thoughts, apathy or any other sinful thoughts. God placed chemicals in our brains to help us live in ways that please Him, but if you are not saved or not walking with the Lord as you should be your brain as well as your soul will be effected by your sin. If we are behaving in evil ways then such diseases as, sexually transmitted diseases, organ diseases, heart attacks, infections, and sicknesses including cancers can be consequences of our sin. When Jesus said, “If your eyes cause you to sin pluck them out or if your hand causes you to sin cut it off. For it will be better for you on the day of judgment that you do not have these body parts then to be cast into Hell for all eternity. He used this hyperbole to make a point to how serious sin is to God. This is the spiritual battle that we fight. Sin is so deceptive and alluring a person can become so desensitized to it that they never see their sin as evil in the sight of God or their need for a Savior. This type of deception is wicked and comes from the Devil himself.
Ephesians 6:12 “For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.” We need to remember that Satan is the prince of this World and that we do not fight against each other but demonic forces. We need to understand Satan’s character. When we understand how completely evil he is and how much he hates everyone especially God, then you will be able to see what kind of havoc he is creating.
In Mark chapter 5 it says,
1 And they (Jesus and his disciples) came over unto the other side of the sea, into the country of the Gadarenes.
2 And when he was come out of the ship, immediately there met him out of the tombs a man with an unclean spirit,
3 Who had his dwelling among the tombs; and no man could bind him, no, not with chains:
4 Because that he had been often bound with fetters and chains, and the chains had been plucked asunder by him, and the fetters broken in pieces: neither could any man tame him.
5 And always, night and day, he was in the mountains, and in the tombs, crying, and cutting himself with stones.
6 But when he saw Jesus afar off, he ran and worshipped him,
7 And cried with a loud voice, and said, What have I to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of the most high God? I adjure thee by God, that thou torment me not.
8 For he said unto him, Come out of the man, thou unclean spirit.
9 And he asked him, What is thy name? And he answered, saying, My name is Legion: for we are many.
In this passage the man was demonically possessed and was tormented by these demons named Legion. What were some of the behaviors we see? Crying and depression, cutting himself, a “super human” type of power where no one could bind him. He was a social outcast and secluded himself in the tombs of the mountains day and night, so he was homeless and jobless. The demon did not like Jesus talking to him. I know of many people who are experiencing demonic oppression or possession that say they don’t want to talk about Jesus, they want to be left alone. Does this not sound like a schizophrenic or the description of the teenager who is abusing drugs? I would say yes it does.
Here is another example in the Bible of a demonic spirit but this time in a child.
Matthew 17:15-18 says,
15 Lord, have mercy on my son: for he is lunatick, and sore vexed: for ofttimes he falleth into the fire, and oft into the water. 16And I brought him to thy disciples, and they could not cure him. 17Then Jesus answered and said, O faithless and perverse generation, how long shall I be with you? how long shall I suffer you? bring him hither to me. 18And Jesus rebuked the devil; and he departed out of him: and the child was cured from that very hour.
So does Satan and his demons care about children? NO! His father said his son was acting like a lunatic and was in much anguish. In some commentaries they used the example of epilepsy to describe this boys condition. Needless to say he did not have control over his body and the spirits would try and harm him by making him fall into a fire or water. This reminds me of the drug addicts I used to work with that would have epileptic seizures. Their drug use had consequences. (a side note: I don’t believe that all seizures are caused by demonic attacks, but we can not deny it as a possibility) I also worked with a women who was diagnosed with bipolar, who was taking lithium, and had to be moved from our facility because she threatened to kill the counselor. The lithium was supposed to be helping her. She was in a constant state of psychoses. Another women I worked with was an alcoholic, when she left treatment she put herself in front of a train and killed herself. Many of our clients were involved in the occult and also on PRESCRIBED psychotropic drugs for their depression and anxiety. The success rate was very low and the rehab was a revolving door for many of these people. And what I mean by “success rate” is that they did not “relapse” or get arrested. So if this is success then I would say there was a zero percent success rate, because almost all the time these women would replace their drug use with other idols like, food, sitting in front of the TV, sleeping or laziness, gossiping and running to other mischief, or just about any other sin under the sun. They would be expected to attend AA meetings where they were REQUIRED to have some kind of higher power, which would bring them in to more idol worship, because their higher power was not the God of the Bible. There fake gods could not cure their addictions, anxieties, or depression, they kept on taking more and more prescribed drugs, that only sent them into more despair and suicidal thoughts. They would have bad reactions and horrible emotional reactions and the advise was to just keep taking these drugs it will get better in 2 or 3 weeks. The reality is they never got better, they just learned to cope with their mental health issues so they could function from day to day. But the medical community would say that it’s the drugs when it was just people learning how to cope. What these people needed was Jesus. They needed the Savior that could lift all demonic possession or oppression that the person was experiencing and take away the bondage to their sin.
There was only ONE time at an AA meeting where I heard someone talk about Jesus and how Jesus saved him from the bondage of sin. He was talking at the meeting as the speaker. The sad part was that talking about Jesus was taboo in AA meetings. I remember he kept saying that he knows he is not suppose to talk about Jesus, but this was his recovery experience and Jesus was his higher power. I remember he was very carful with his words when talking about the Lord saving him. I myself, being the counselor that brought clients to these meetings, was also lost and not saved and I remember thinking I wish he would just speak what was on his mind.
Satan and his demons find much pleasure in shutting up the saints and they also want as many people to go to the Lake of Fire as possible and they will do what ever it takes to make a person miserable and distracted so they will not think about Jesus. And if you are washed in the blood of Jesus, repented of your sins, and put your trust in Jesus alone for our Salvation…. Satan will try everything he can to make you ineffective for the Lord. For the Born Again Christian, the spiritual war is real and we MUST take a stand, we need to know who our ememies are so that we can fight them spiritually.
Here is a young man who explains what he is going threw, because he is a Catholic he has not been set free from his bondage to this demonic oppression he is going through. Some foul language so be advised.